Participated as a lecturer in-charge, I had jittery feelings when my students were debating... Yup, a debate was held 2 weeks ago, to be specific, an inter-faculty debate... So, I was assigned to look for debaters from the Science Faculty and they didn't fail me... From the beginning, my sixth sense told me they are so going to win it and they did!!!!! One of them even walked away with the best speaker title-he doesn't talk much but when he opens his mouth, he impresses people with his wisdom and the way he phrases his words, definitely not an empty vessel...
I was there watching them, clapping for them, giving morale support in all 3 rounds... I remembered how nervous I was when they were up against Faculty of Arts and Social Science (the faculty I belong to) because the debaters were equally good (I know because I taught 2 of them before).. Thanks to my kids enthusiasm and great showmanship, they won... The 1st and final round were not difficult for them, I actually pity their opponents as my kids were rather harsh and did not give them 'face'....
I learn how difficult debating is, the preparation, anxiety and butterfly in the stomach they have to bear-it was my first time watching a debate, I learn a lot in terms of the rules, qualities that adjudicators look for in a debater and the don'ts... The organizing committee assured me they will make this a yearly event and I am looking forward to the next one which will be held in conjunction with the uni 10th anniversary... Of course, I hope I'll encounter a few outstanding students when I teach English for Science this coming January and send them out to retain their trophy...

their glorious moment... my hat goes off to all 3 of you...

the WINNERS + their proud lecturers!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment